I’m soooooo screwed πŸ”©πŸ”©πŸ”©πŸ”©πŸ€£

Well folks, I’m officially screwed!

We arrived at the hospital at 10 am on Thursday April 20. I immediately b-lined it to the chapel. I had a huge amount of fear sitting right on my chest that I needed to give to someone else. I had been carrying it for a long time, and I knew I had to let it go before surgery. So there I sat, in a hospital chapel with the most gorgeous stained glass windows, and gave my fear to God. Pretty much everything after that was picture perfect.

We checked in at pre-op and several sweet nurses got me ready to go. I got clean with another set of sticky pre-cleansing wipes (I showered with it twice also), compression stockings, the most pain free IV I’ve ever gotten, and finally I was ready to speak to the doctors!

Nervous but ready!!!

First was Dr. Beck. He came in will a big smile on his face, ready to do his thing! He took a few photos with me (hopefully we have a news story on our hands—stay tuned!) and even recorded a little interview in his phone. He asked if we had anymore questions, marked me and said he’d be ready to get started in 20 minutes. Next was the nerve monitoring Doctor who explained that I would be having pretty extensive nerve monitoring  (an Electromyogram, or EMG) throughout the surgery. Tiny needles would be placed in my muscles and nerves through my body to make sure everything was functioning properly. All of this would be done when I was already asleep. Then Dr. Anesthesia came by to go over my chart and my allergies. He said everything should go smoothly, “for a healthy girl like you.” Finally a beautiful nurse, angelic really, came in to tell me it was time. She informed me that she was Dr.Beck’s surgical nurse and she’d take it from here. Then she put some Versed (aka 3 margaritas ) in my IV, I cried as I said goodbye to my husband, told him to take care of the boys should anything happen to me, and I was off.

Saying goodbye to him was the hardest part

We pulled into a sterile white room full of lights, machines and people. I began to panic and tears streamed down my cheeks. I was scared, excited, and mostly relieved to finally be getting help. Then the angel of a nurse grabbed my hand, told me to think of my precious boys, and began to pray. That was the last thing I remember before surgery.

The screwing 🀣 itself only took 40 mins (bilateral), and I don’t remember anything but a beautiful dream I had while I was out…I’ll save that for another post though! I woke up to a male nurse talking to me. I asked if everything went well and immediately felt a sore throat from intubation. He said to rest my voice, and that I did well and had been awake, and talking to him for awhile. My blood pressure and oxygen saturation was great but my body felt heavy and my legs felt like I had just ran a marathon—restless and like they needed to be stretched and iced BAD. As soon as I mentioned it, there was a new female nurse wheeling me away from recovery and telling me that with the amount of EMG I had done, my muscles HAD basically run a marathon!

First post screw selfie! All went well!!! πŸ”©πŸ”©πŸ”©πŸ”©

Due to the achiness in my legs and the big bag of fluids I was given, I begged to get up to use the bathroom. The nurse said it was still early, but I was doing great so we could try. She grabbed my hubby who was happy to see me moving, and off to the restroom we went. I was surprised because I instantly felt both incredible stability and intense muscle spasms upon standing. I got my business done and got up off the potty easier than I thought. As soon as I was back in bed (without the nurse’s help—whoops!), she tested my reflexes and leg strength, just as they had done prior to surgery. She too noted how much stronger my left leg was only an hour after surgery! After getting my pain under control, making sure I could walk/pee/eat/drink without issues, and another quick visit from Dr. Beck, I was discharged.

I’m outta here!

We grabbed prescription meds and the infamous Rialto pizza from Bridge Pizza on our way back to our hotel. Upon checking into our hotel I told the manager I would be having surgery later in the week. He was kind enough to give us a room one the first floor right next to the parking and private entrance. This made getting into our room easy peasy! They even let me put my ice packs in their employee freezer and had them ready for me post op. We had truly awesome service at the Holiday Inn!

Pizza, medicine for the soul πŸ•β€οΈ

So yummy!!!

As soon as we got to the hotel I got into bed, ate and began my holistic healing regime: CBD, Kratom, doTERRA essential oils, magnesium, turmeric, shilajit and various medical marijuana products. I had previously tried all of them to test sensitivity and I promise I’ll write more about all that at another time, but I will say this, I know it’s all helping heal me in a way pain pills never will (though I’m still taking them for a short while). Before I knew it I was sleeping the night away, more comfortably than I had in over a year…just a few hours after pretty major surgery!

I set my alarm to take meds at 3am and woke up the next morning to leg aches from hell. I’m telling you, that 40 minutes of nerve testing did me in! Thank GodπŸ™ŒπŸ» for Deep Blue and the hands of my sweet hubby for applying it constantly. We got a text that our flight was delayed an hour so we got to lay around a little longer, relishing a few more moments of “vacation”. Then we headed off to the airport and eventually back home.

Stay tuned for the rest of the getting home story!

Love you all!!

πŸ’œ Lauren


4 thoughts on “I’m soooooo screwed πŸ”©πŸ”©πŸ”©πŸ”©πŸ€£

  1. Alanna says:

    Yay! Hope your recovery is going well. I’m nervous like you were. I have a 2 year old handsome boy. I’m a type 1 diabetic my a1c needs to come down another point and the doc said he’d get me in the week after. So guessing end of May. Super nervous as I have hip tears and cam inpingement on both my right hip was done last November and I’m in more pain then before surgery. I also have chronic bursitis in both so recovery will be hard with crutches and the flare ups. Doc said back needs to be done first then hips will get better after surgery. I’m just ready to get some relief! Thank you for your journey!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s